Alphabetic roulette is an uncommon variation of the game of roulette that is based on the letters of the alphabet and six different colors. The game consists of 25 spaces, each space consisting of one letter of the alphabet from A to X, plus one space for the letters Y and Z. The six colors consist of four letters each with the YZ space having no color. The YZ space is treated similarly to the zero in other variations of the game.
Alphabetic Roulette Bets
Players can place ten different bets in Alphabetic roulette.
- Straight up – a bet on a single letter or the space YZ
- Split – a bet on any two adjacent letters
- Top level – a bet on the letters A, B, YZ
- Four way – a bet on any four adjacent letters
- Color – a bet on a specific color
- Six way – a bet on a group of six letters – A-F, G-L, M-R or S-X
- Party pit – a bet on any of the letters in the words PARTY PIT i.e. P, A, R, T, Y, I
- Roulette – a bet on any of the letters in the word ROULETTE i.e. R, O, U, L, E, T
- Dozen – a bet on a group of 12 letters – A-L or M-X.
- Column – a bet on one of two groups of alternating letters e.g. A, C, E etc or B, D, F etc.
Payouts in Alphabetic Roulette
To understand the alphabetic roulette odds of the game, it is important to understand the payouts for each bet.
- Straight up pays 23 to 1
- Split pays 11 to 1
- Top level pays 7 to1
- Four way pays 5 to 1
- Color bet pays 5 to 1
- Six ways pays 3 to 1
- Party Pit bet pays 3 to 1
- Roulette bet pays 3 to 1
- Dozen bet pay 1 to 1
- Column bet pays 1 to 1
House Edge in Alphabet Roulette
Each bet in the game of Alphabetic roulette has the same house edge of 4.0% so it makes no difference what bet you place. The house edge in a game of Alphabetic roulette is higher than most other variations of the game, except for the popular variation of American roulette. As a comparison, European roulette using the la partage and en prison rule has a house edge of 1.35%, straight European roulette has a house edge of 2.7% and American roulette has a house edge of 5.26%. When choosing a roulette game to play, it is important to look at the house edge and payouts of the specific bets as well as the overall house edge for the game. Compare these odds with other variations of the game to see which game poses the least risk to your bankroll. While Alphabetic roulette is a simple and fun variation of the game, alphabetic roulette odds are not nearly as favorable as single zero roulette (such as European roulette) odds.